So let's start from scratch. There are three main kinds of peach that we sell at Paynters:
1) The Clingstone Peach At Paynters this variety comes early and is quickly overlapped by the more popular freestone peach. But don't let it's clingy nature scare you off! These peaches are DELICIOUS and are sought after. Fun fact: A majority of the canned peaches you find in the grocery store are clingstone.
2) The Freestone Peach Unlike it's counterpart, the clingstone, a freestone peach does not cling to the stone within. This makes canning a little easier, and eating a little less messy. These varieties also grow large and luscious (as seen in above photo). At Paynters we carry a variety of free stone peaches including
- Red Haven This red blushed yellow skinned beauty is a fancy looking peach that tastes as good as it sounds. Red Haven's are often the first to ripen from the Haven family. We grow this variety in our orchards.
- Glo Haven Glo Haven's yellow insides usually ripen 17 days after its sibling, allowing it some more growing time. Henceforth, these peaches are massive (see above photo) and are perfect for canning, baking, and freezing. Also, we have these in our orchard for you-pick!
- White Flesh The white flesh peach is a special addition to the peach family. Instead of a yellow, slightly acidic flesh the white flesh is exactly what it sounds like: white fleshed and sweeter than many other varieties. You can also find white flesh peaches in our store and in our orchard for you-pick.
- Red Globe Not unlike it's dear friend Red Haven, the Red Globe peach is beautiful when it blushes. Additionally it is abundant in size. Firm, yellow flesh with excellent flavour it is often named the most attractive peach of the season.
- Crest Haven This variety is one of the last varieties, coming along at the end of August / September. It's sweet and delicious, and great for canning and eating.