Apricot jam is favored all over the world; it mixes well with a variety of ingredients and therefore full of creative possibilites.
We are clever cats here at Paynter's and every year we try our best to try new combo's and additions to the traditional jams we all grew up with.
Wether you're looking to spice up that preserve cupboard, or keep it old school, we've got the goods for you. You can come and pick your own, buy fresh, or dig through the seconds (my personal fav) for some discounted and riper fruit. Curious? Need answers? Call us!
Here's a great starter recipe that will get those juices flowing:
Paynter's Apricot Heaven
To start you will need the usual jamming accompaniments: Mason jars, sugar, fruit, lemon or lime juice, a large pot, and a general knowledge of sanitary jamming techniques.
The Basic Ingredients:
8 cups of pitted Apricots
6 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice
Now, that is pretty much all you need to be successful. If, at this point, you're saying to yourself, "You know what? I can take this further" than read on:
-Cinnamon (To taste, some like it spicy) -Vanilla (bean or liquid) -Raisins (I usually add raisins and cinnamon) -1 tsp of Kirsch (a fun liquor) -Brandy - Calvados
Now, additions are just that and up to the creator. You can add what flavors you want and how much you want. My advice: start slow and taste test. You can always add more, but can't take away.
When making your jam don't forget the ice box trick! Take a tablespoon of jam, scooping it onto a plate. Place the plate in the freezer and see if it congeals nicely before canning.
Steps For Beginners:
1. Sterilize jars by boiling or in the oven.
2. You will need 5 pint jars or 10 half pint jars
3. Combine Apricots in pot and cook on med; once liquid like add half the sugar and let the jam simmer for an hour on very low. This will concentrate your jam so you don't need to use pectin.
4. Add the rest of the sugar and bring to a rolling boil stirring constantly, bring heat down and do freezer test.
5. Bring jam back to a boil, stirring the whole time.
6. Remove from heat and CAN AWAY!