Being as addicted to this flavorful fall harvest as we are, we have tried a number of recipes for this rounded goodness. That's right, we've done all the legwork for you and gained a few pounds while at it.
Below you will find everything you need for taking on the task of pumpkin pie from scratch.
Step 1: Find a Pumpkin, cook a Pumpkin.
While navigating our squash bins you will come across our Sugar Pumpkins. These pumpkins are best used for baking and cooking as they have a significantly thicker wall then their carving cousins. They are a smaller variety, and if you can't find em', ask us! We will be more than happy show you.
Step 2: Roast it!
Step 3: Bake that pie!
| || |
- To Make Pastry: In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- To Make Pumpkin Filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 beaten eggs, 2 cups pumpkin, 3/4 cup honey or sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, cloves, and evaporated milk. Mix well.
- Roll out pastry and fit into a 9 inch pie plate. Pour in pumpkin filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 45 minutes, until filling is set.
- EAT AND BE MERRY!